Tuesday, March 6, 2012

When the world has plunged me in its deepest pit...

There are times when life takes an unexpected turn, and we find ourselves in the depths of despair. The hardest part is that these times are unexpected. We don't see them coming. I could give examples, but I feel that would be a waste of space. I think that most people can identify at least one time in their life when they received bad news that immediately sent them into tears. In my short 19 years, I can already identify at least three times when this has happened to me personally. Sadly, I witnessed a close friend experience this kind of situation just last night. It might seem odd for me to write about something so grave and depressing. But last night I learned something incredibly beautiful from the way a sister handled grief.

'Hope' is a word that Christians and non-Christians alike are comfortable using. However, it would be incorrect to assume that the term is being used in the same way by both of these groups of people. The casual way many use the word 'hope' is evidenced in phrases like, "I hope my classes will be cancelled tomorrow," "I hope the weather is good for our vacation," and "I hope I win the lottery." Using the word 'hope' in this way reveals that what the person hopes for is either superficial, unlikely, or pretty much impossible. This is not the kind of hope that will get someone through times of grief. Imagine what little comfort it would be to say to someone who just lost their job, "I hope you can find another job!" Instead, wouldn't we say, "I am confident that you will find another job!" But last night I saw a truer, deeper hope. It is the Christian hope- a hope that only those who are truly in Christ can know.

The Christian hope is really faith. We have faith that this world is not all there is. We have faith that our King is coming back to bring justice. We have faith that we have a heavenly advocate, who is pleading our case before God on our behalf. Maybe all of that doesn't sound any more possible to you than winning the lottery does. But unlike the hope of the person who wishes to win the lottery, the Christian hope isn't merely wishful thinking. Christians are sure of what they hope for. They are certain that these things will come to pass. The Scriptures say it beautifully: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11:1).

So in case you were wondering, Christians still grieve. They just grieve differently. They grieve without forgetting their hope in the King and His promises to them. Seeing my sister in Christ tearfully professing her trust in God's faithfulness even in the midst of her fear and sadness was probably the most moving thing I have experienced at college. Today in choir rehearsal, we learned a hymn that really reminded me of my dear sister's hope.

"There is a hope that lifts my weary head,
A consolation strong against despair,
That when the world has plunged me in its deepest pit,
I find the Savior there!"

Only those who belong to Christ can know this kind of hope. As a matter of fact, God's Word tells us that because our hope is so certain, we can boast about it! "But Christ is faithful as a son over God’s house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast" (Hebrews 3:6). So I will boast in my hope, but I will also share the reason for my hope with others. It is hardly something that I could keep to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment