Friday, January 20, 2012

The Opposite Way

If you've ever been in an auditorium, a gymnasium, or a large gathering of any kind after the crowd is dismissed, you know that it is nearly impossible to walk in a direction that goes against the masses. Racking my brain for a personal experience when this has happened to me, the first memories that come to mind are the moments when after a concert or musical that I've performed in, I try and make my way through the crowd to meet up with my family. I am eager to get to them so that I can ask them what they thought of the performance, and I'm eager to give and receive hugs and even words of affirmation. However, as I have said, getting there is somewhat tricky. Pushing past the crowds, saying, "excuse me" whenever possible, is an awkward and pretty uncomfortable experience. I can read the expressions on some of the faces of the people I squeeze in between. They usually seem to say, "I know you want to get somewhere, but you should really be considerate and let me and all the rest of these people go first." I understand their frustration, but I have always found it worth it to undergo the awkwardness of wading through the crowd. As often as poor analogies are used in Christian circles, I am sometimes reluctant to use analogies at all. But Jesus used them, and they were always effective. Besides, tonight I am on a mission to encourage a friend, and this analogy seems to be very fitting for the situation.

When someone is truly living for the King, everyone knows it. Servants of Jesus live differently than the rest of the world. They make decisions differently, they talk differently, and they enjoy life differently. As we can tell from history, people who are different often have to deal with awkward, uncomfortable or even painful encounters with others who disdain them for their 'differentness'. Our human instinct makes us gravitate towards those who are most like us, and our sinful nature makes us distance ourselves and sometimes form prejudices against those who are unlike us. So the genuine Christ-follower is bound to experience some opposition. Going the opposite way that everyone else seems to be going is never going to be easy, but the Christian knows that it is worth it.

I know from experience what it is like to experience resistance and hostility because of my beliefs. Just like going the opposite way through a crowd, sometimes you get dirty looks. At times a person will dare to utter a profanity at you. The worst part, however, is when these hurtful looks and words come from people you thought were your friends. Also, just like going the opposite way through a crowd, sometimes you accidentally bump into someone and rub them the wrong way. Even genuine Christ-followers are bound to make mistakes in their journey of going against the grain. The best they can do is apologize and continue on their way. Fortunately, the best part of this analogy is the last part.

The one thing to remember when your going the opposite way is that your destination is worth the opposition and hostility you might encounter on the way there. When I walk the opposite direction through a crowd, I don't take my eyes off of the people I am going toward. Otherwise, I might lose them. In the same way, the Christian has to keep their eyes set firmly on their destination. However, this is where the analogy falls short. For Jesus isn't only waiting at the finish line as his people struggle through the crowd, He is there with them. He is softening the blows at times, and he is filling them up with peace and power to get the rest of the way there. The only danger lies in losing sight of Jesus. If I lose sight of Jesus, pushing through the opposition becomes exhausting, and instead of being filled with peace and power, I am filled with doubts and despair. The Word of God gives better encouragement than I can:

"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander" (1 Peter 3:15-16).

So my friend, set your heart on Jesus. Keep your eyes on the king.

No comments:

Post a Comment